With Christmas coming up in less than 3 months, I wanted to create a clean raw superfood hedgehog slice. It had to be healthier than regular hedgehog slice. So I started playing around with three of my favourite nuts. Yes, I’m talking about almonds, walnuts and cashews. And of course, let’s not forget about adding some yummy chocolate.
So what is a superfood?
Superfood’s are foods with their super hero capes on. 🙂
Actually they are foods rich in phytochemicals, which basically means their super power is used for fighting off diseases.
Superfood’s are nutrient rich. This means that their vitamins, antioxidants and minerals components are notably higher than what the body’s basic nutritional needs are. You probably already know many of the foods on the superfood list! Just take a moment to think about them, I have listed just a few below for you.
- Nuts & seeds- just eat in moderation!
- Berries – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and cranberries just to name a few.
- Dark green leaf veggies – kale, spinach, lettuce and more.
- Green Tea
- Seaweed – spirulina
My superfood’s of choice for this recipe are; goji berries, chia seeds, cacao and coconut. And all of these should be available in your local supermarket or health food store.
Let’s get started.
Now, you only want to chop the nuts roughly. Nothing too large or to small. I prefer cutting them with a knife rather than using a food processor to blitz them. I really like having little piece that are still visible once it’s all mixed and combined together.
Now here comes the fun!
Go ahead and melt 100grams of your favourite chocolate (of course if you don’t require the recipe to be vegan feel free to use a good quality chocolate of at least 65% to 70% cacao, it works just as well). Pour the melted chocolate over the crushed nuts and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine everything. Make sure everything is covered in chocolate! It really is rather easy to make, isn’t it? Plus, it’s a fun recipe to get your kids involved in.
Press the mixture evenly into a prepared baking tin and place into the refrigerator or freezer for 5 or so minutes whilst you get the next lot of melted chocolate ready. (during the warmer Summer months, I pop mine in the freezer, overnight). If you are going to leave it in the freezer – cover with clingwrap, especially if you are making this in advance. It’s a great recipe to make ahead of time for celebrations.
Pour the melted chocolate on top and place back in either the fridge or freezer again for the chocolate to set. (i set mine in the fridge). Approximately 5 minutes is all it will take. Remove from the fridge/freezer and allow the slice to come to room temperature before slicing. This will also help prevent the chocolate from cracking. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
In my opinion, this raw superfood hedgehog slice tastes amazing! Εven your non-vegan friends and relatives will be surprised by it. A small slice can certainly help kick those mid-afternoon sugar cravings when they come calling!
- easy to make
- requires no baking
- protein packed
- raw and vegan
- healthy and delicious
If you make and enjoy this recipe, please leave a rating below. And better yet – leave me a comment to tell me how you got on, or just say hi – I LOVE hearing from you. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest to see more of my everyday recipes and wellness tips.
- 1 cup almonds
- 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon chocolate tahini
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup goji berries
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 100g chocolate – melted
- 100g chocolate – melted for glacing the top of the hedgehog.
- Line a pan or tupper 18 x 26 cm with parchment paper and set aside.
- You will need to crush all of the nuts. I find it easier to do them separately in a small food processor. You want them to still have some texture… so as fine or as roughly chopped as you like them.
- In a medium size bowl add the coconut oil, maple syrup, chocolate tahini, cacao and melted chocolate. Stir well until combined.
- Add all the crushed nuts, desiccated coconut, goji berries, oats and chia seeds and using a spoon stir all of the ingredients until well coated and combined.
- Place the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan and flatten until evenly distributed. Allow to cool before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerate or pop into the freezer to allow the chocolate and coconut to set.
- Remove from the the fridge or freezer and pour the melted chocolate on top and return to fridge to allow to set.
- Slice and enjoy.