Self Care is one of the best ways to honour yourself. However, keeping up the self-care can sometimes be hard. It should be a priority, not a luxury.
It is really easy to put everyone else’s needs before our own, including putting things off for “another time”.
I find when I don’t take care of my self:
- My eating habits tend to slide a little.
- I stay up too late, becoming a night owl!
- My patience becomes shorter than normal.
- I become cranky! (not nice).
- Plus zero motivation.
The struggle can be real. It is so important that we take care of ourselves, especially if we have people relying on us.
- You are a mum.
- A wife.
- You’re taking care of elderly parents.
- Working or running a business.
There is no shame in taking care of you, so that you can take care of everyone else. We all want to be the best person we can to take care of our families.
So, what is the best way?
Let’s start by making a self-care routine. The best way I find to take care of me, is to schedule it in my daily diary. So, I mark a 2 hour window daily that is all for moi!
For me, I like to workout and meditate in the morning. I love my mornings! It helps me to feel stronger mentally and physically, plus I can then deal with whatever the cosmos wants to throw at me.
Making Self-Care a Priority.
If you are not familiar with self-care or just don’t know where to start, I have listed a few simple ideas to help get you started. Plus I have a freebie for you guys, to help you get started. Your very own Self-Care checklist that you can download here or at the end of the post.
Move your Body:
Commit to moving your body Daily!
- Walking – it can be as simple as walking around the block.
- Stretching – hold different poses for 30 seconds.
- Yoga – easy to follow videos via youtube or there are many apps.
- Running, jogging.
- Lifting weights.
- Jump rope – old fashioned skipping rope!
- Bike riding.
- Join a gym… take a spin class, pilates, anything that interests you.
I personally love to workout in the mornings, as it energises me for the rest of the day. Plus if you go to the gym…. they are usually quietier first thing in the morning. Schedule it and “just go for it, you’re so worth it“.
For any of you who are interested I am offering a 20% discount on the Freeletics Coach app. Register by clicking here to access the discount code. It’s a functional high intensity bodyweight training, plus this also gives you access to the other programs which include: gym training, running training and for a little extra, the nutritional coaching.
Mindful Eating Habits:
Mindful eating takes practise. Placing awareness on what you are eating. Are you eating because you are hungry, or are you bored, tired or craving sugars? Mindful eating requires you to focus on how and why you eat. This will ultimately help you understand which foods nourish the body. Make sure that you are eating healthier foods and not overeating. Your body will thank you for it later.
- Ask yourself “Am I hungry”?
- Drink water – aim for a minimum of 8 glasses. (I drink 3-4L per day).
- Focus on your food, don’t ear whilst on the phone, laptop or television.
- Slow down and actually chew your food.
- You should be able to enjoy what you are eating.
- How does the food you’re eating make you feel?
Are you getting 8 or more hours of sleep? Sleep is so overlooked! Yet, it is something that is available to each one of us, (it’s one of my favourite activities) and comes with some pretty awesome benefits! So go ahead, and get some extra zzzz’s!
How much sleep do we need? Well, according to the National Sleep Foundation which published a study by 18 sleep scientists and researchers, it shows the number of hours needed by each age group.
- Newborns (0-3 months) 14-17 hours
- Infants (4-11 months) 12-15 hours.
- Toddlers (1-2 years) 11-14 hours.
- Preschoolers (3-5 years) 10-13 hours.
- Children (6-13 yars) 9-11 hours.
- Teens (14-17 years) 8-10 hours.
- Young Adults (18-25 years) 8-9 hours.
- Adults (aged 26-64) 7-9 hours.
- Older Adults (aged 65+) 7-8 hours.
What happens when we sleep?
- When we sleep, our bodies repair themselves. Amazing!
- Burn calories!! (what’s not to love about that?)
- Improves our mood, plus our energy levels increase.
- Increased sex drive!
- Improved memory. (who doesn’t want that?)
- Lower stress levels.
Okay, so we know we should, but it might seem intimmidating if we don’t know how to meditate. These are 2 apps I like to use regularly:
- Calm app is free to download, and you wont incur any charges by simply downloading it or by creating an account. Calm is available in both google plays-store and apple app store. You can try it for free, as some of the courses are unlocked ready to try. There is also a monthly payment plan or annual plan which will unlock all areas.
- The other app I like to use is Headspace app. Downloading and signing up are both free of charge. I believe they also offer either a monthly or annual fee to unlocking all areas.
I like to sit in the sunshine for a minimum of 10 minutes a day up to 1 hour. (I’m also boosting my intake of vitamin D). I have listed above the 2 apps I like using to help me meditate. I also use them during my night time ritual.
Learning how to Breathe:
Sounds easy enough, I mean we breathe automatically, right? Place your hands on your abdomen and breathe deeply. Your abdomen should expand… hold for a count of 5-10 seconds and slowly release, feeling the tension and stress leave your body.
Watch how you talk to Yourself.
- No negative thoughts!
- Practice affirmations.
- Do not compare your journey with anyone else.
Do something that makes you feel great… on the inside as well as the outside.
What makes you feel “good”?
- Walking along the beach, bare foot.
- Wearing make-up during the day.
- Watch a sunrise/sunset.
- Read a book.
- Take a spa day.
- Have a manicure/pedicure.
You get the idea, right?
Somethings I like doing:
- Workout/Go to the gym.
- Listening to music!
- Unplug from social media.
- Juice up – drink the rainbow.
- Watch a movie.
- Hang out with my favourite person.
- Dream bigger than big.
- Know that I am not perfect, I am unique.
Let me know what are some ways you take care of you. Come on over and say Hi or follow me over on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest to see more of my everyday recipes and wellness tips. Don’t forget on instragram to use the hashtag #schiavone360.
Click here to download your own free Self-Care Checklist.