My absolute favourite cake, has always been, Carrot cake! I have taken my favourite carrot cake recipe and totally transformed it! My version of super-food carrot cake is moist, fluffy and loaded with super food goodness. Not to mention, 100% vegan and topped with a vegan dreamy cashew cream frosting that totally ticks all the boxes for any occasion!
This cake really is easy to make and requires simple ingredients you most likely already have on hand. I used a mashed banana, which means no egg replacement or substitute like a flax egg need. Four grated carrots give the cake it’s super moist texture. (By now you’ve guessed I have a thing for hiding vegetables in my cakes and cookies! 😉) Plus I added some sultanas, goji berries for a hint of colour, pecans, coconut oil and shredded coconut just to name a few ingredients to give it it’s amazing flavour.
Let’s get started!
If you are going to frost the cake with my dreamy cashew cream you’ll need to pre-soak your cashews overnight for best results.
Preheat your oven to 180c/325F. Line a small loaf pan with parchment paper, no oil or flour required for pan. The dimensions of my small loaf pan are . 20cm x 10cm x 10cm (H/W/D).
I like to gather my ingredients and have them ready. Meaning, I grate the carrots, crush the pecans and measure out all of the other ingredients.
Next, I like to separate the dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl. The wet ingredients I simply pop them into my immersion blender for getting the job done more effectively. Now, combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and stir until completely combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 180C/356F for approximately 45-50 minutes. Use a food skewer to check that cake is cooked all the way through. Skewer should come out clean once cake is cooked. Remove the cake from the oven and allow cool to for 20 minutes in the pan. Remove and place on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
Once the cake has cooled completely, frost with cashew cream, and sprinkle with crushed pecans and shredded coconut.
I served this cake with my dreamy cashew cream frosting and some extra crushed pecans. All my non-vegan family members devoured it all!
- undetectably vegan
- fast and easy to make
If you make and enjoy this recipe, please leave a rating below. And better yet – leave me a comment to tell me how you got on, or just say hi – I LOVE hearing from you. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest to see more of my everyday recipes and wellness tips.
- 1½cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup pecans - chopped
- 1½ cups grated carrot (approximately 4 medium sized carrots)
- ½ cup banana - mashed (approximately 2 small or 1 large banana)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- ¼ cup sultanas
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 1-2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat your oven to 180 C /356 F.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. My loaf pan is 20cm x 10cm x 10cm. (HxWxD).
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, shredded coconut, chia seeds and pecans.
- Add the grated carrots and stir well to combine. Set aside.
- Into a small blender, combine the banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract and non-dairy milk. Blend/Pulse until you have a creamy liquid.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add the sultanas and goji berries and stir to combine.
- Transfer the batter to a prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Cake will be golden.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes whilst still in the loaf pan. Remove and allow to cool for up to one hour.
- Once cake is completely cool, frost with cashew cream and decorate with more crushed pecans and shredded coconut.
Coconut oil can be swapped out for Olive oil.
Non-dairy milk such as: almond milk, cashew milk, rice milk, oat milk,etc.
Liquid sweetener: agave syrup, maple syrup or brown rice syrup.
Nut allergies: Omit the pecans. Use sunflower seeds.
Don't have pecans swap for walnuts.
Don't like sultanas - swap for cranberries.