Vegan Honey…. is there really such a thing? Well, I’m here to tell you, that it is a thing! Just 2 simple ingredients is all you are going to need, to make this delicious gooey and sticky vegan honey! No bees required!
How do we make it?
Take some sweet pineapple juice and add equal quantity of coconut sugar, a little cooking and voila! Honey – that is dark, delicious, sticky and sweet. Resembling “bee” made honey in taste and texture. I flavoured mine, with fresh rosemary and a quarter of an orange.
It really couldn’t be any easier to make.
Boil the two ingredients together over a medium high heat. Lower the heat and let it simmer whilst continuing to stir the golden liquid until it reduces in quantity and becomes slightly thicker. Approximately 15 minutes is all it will take. Remember, it is going to thicken up even more upon cooling down.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and share a photo on instagram with the hashtag #schiavone360, or just say hi – I LOVE hearing from you. Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest to see more of my everyday recipes and wellness tips.
- 2 cups of freshly juiced pineapple (approximately 1 whole pineapple)
- 2 cups of coconut sugar
- fresh twig of rosemary or thyme (optional)
- ¼ of an orange (optional)
- In a medium sized saucepan or feel free to use a non-stick frypan, bring to a rolling boil the sugar and pineapple juice over a medium to high heat.
- Once it boils, reduce the heat to a simmer. Constantly stirring to prevent the sugar from sticking or catching to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Once it bubbles start frothing and starts getting slightly thicker, remove from heat and pour into a clean sterilised jar.
- Allow to cool completely before sealing with a lid. It will thicken whilst cooling!
- Vanilla Bean paste or pod
- Cinnamon stick
- Whole cloves
Thickens up, as it cools.